Sunday, May 22, 2011

Some of Ms. Burkin's Own Artwork

Being an unemployed art teacher, or underemployed as the case may be, is financially really tough. But, there is one major advantage; time to make your own artwork! When teaching art the energy for producing one's own work is very low. This winter I took advantage of my free time to make more paintings, collages, and other types of work. Here are some of the results...

This piece is 12" x 12", as are all of the rest on this post. It is acrylic on wood, and part of a series of images of birds. Don't know why I like painting birds, but I do.

More birds, but this time made with paper, not paint.
This piece is $100, where as the rest of them on wood or canvas are $250.

I call this one Spring Birds.

This is part of a series of collages that I did inspired by some of my feminist reading that I did over 15 years ago,
as an undergraduate.
I decided it was okay to tear up a couple of books since
when my dog was a puppy he mangled them pretty badly anyway.

This piece is called A Dress in the Making and uses actual patterns.
 I like to sew too, and I am obsessed with cute baby clothes.

This piece is called Steps From Home.

I make actual bags, but it was fun to make miniature bags too.
I also used to dress a lot of forms when I did display design for Bloomingdales so this piece gave me a chance
to play with clothes again.

My black lab, Dyllan, inspires a lot of my paintings. He is my muse. He takes his job seriously.

Dyllan will do just about anything for a treat.

My dad was very into fishing. I made this on his birthday, a couple a years after he passed away.

My sister inspired me to make this piece. I saw a painting that I really liked, and wanted to buy it. She reminded me that we are artists, who make our own art - we do not buy other people's art. Well, sometimes I do, when I can afford it.

My mother inspired this piece. She had been to southern Florida and brought home a picture of two beach chairs and challenged to to paint them.

No comments:

Post a Comment