Saturday, May 21, 2011

Should Be Sleeping, But Still Blogging




These are pictures that my Milton students made during the first time I worked with them. The images are made of foil, and are embossed by drawing and or writing on the back of the foil. I gave my students a long, skinny pieces of foil to force a different composition than one gets from an 8" x 10" format. After they finished their foil, they stapled the foil to black paper, and then most students then added a repeating element to create a patterned border. They punched two holes in the top, and thread a string through to create a handle of sorts from which to hang the piece.

I was introduced to this way of working with foil when working at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. Today, I bought two foil pieces from an art sale in Milton. Both pieces were made by fifth graders, but instead of being a rectangle they were cut free form into mask shapes. Not only are the masks embossed, but they are also colored with permanent marker, a stroke of genius by their art teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment