Monday, May 23, 2011

Artwork from the Professional Children's School, NYC: Ceramics

During much of March, April, and May of 2010 I taught art to middle school and high school students at a private school in New York City. I was covering the maternity leave of a very talented art teacher who was having her first child. Professional Children's School is a unique community of students who work in their chosen profession. The majority of the students are working actors, dancers, musicians, and athletes. Some of my students were regular performers at the Metropolitan Opera, some modeled on Live with Regis and Kelly, and some danced for international ballet companies. They were all very talented and excellent students. I enjoyed teaching there very much and often had to remind myself how lucky I was to have such a plumb opportunity. Although only a few students would go on to major in art, all were creative and hard working. Their professionalism spilled over into their behavior as students and I was often thanked at the end of class by students just for doing my job. It was a 180 degree change from the school where I had last taught. I will always remember my time at PCS fondly.

Before the permanent art teacher went on leave she started her high school students on the making of Coptic jars in the ancient Egyptian tradition. Not being a ceramicist, I chose to complete the project a little differently. No lids, just glazing. As a result there are some pretty lovely vases.

No comments:

Post a Comment